Before you get started with the construction of your weighted blanket, here a few things to consider:
1. What weight and dimensions would you like the final product to be?
A general guide to weight is 10% of the person's body weight + 1-2 lbs. Remember to weigh your cut fabric and add that into the final weight you would like. Our blanket covers weight 2 lbs.
As far a dimensions, it will depend on the size person you are making it for. You want the blanket to cover the body from the top of the chest down past the feet. If it is intended for a bed, it is important to not have any of the blanket drape on the sides. Our blankets are intended to cover the top of a twin size mattress (45"x65"). We have found this size to accommodate a large variety of people. When purchasing the fabric allow for a 2 inch seam.
2. What fabrics and threads are durable, yet comforting?
Don't skimp on quality fabric or thread. You want your blanket to last and buying durable fabric and thread is critical. We have found that the following fabrics work best for crafting the blanket, as well as being able to hold up for multiple washings: 100% cotton, slub canvas (comparable to a light weight denim), twill, polyester. Avoid: flannel, silk, linen, fleece or lightweight cotton. A quick way to test for quality thread is to give it a good tug. If it breaks...don't use it! We use 100% polyester thread by Guttermann.
3. What type of filling (weight) is best?
This can be the most expensive part of the project if you are not buying in bulk! We offer 5, 10 and 20 lbs. + free shipping! First time customers receive a 20% discount. RTDOTME20%. Here's a little information about our poly pellets:
- Odorless, Non-Toxic, BPA Free, Smooth, Round Poly Pellets
- Heavy - 6 oz per 1 cup - Pellets are dense to add weight without adding too much plastic to your sewing projects
- Washer and Dryer Safe High Density Polymer- 374 degree (Fahrenheit) melt point
- Durable Packaging - Double bagged in 4 mil industrial bags, sealed and boxed
- Satisfaction Guaranteed - If you're not happy with your High Density Poly Pellets, return them for a no-hassle refund.